DWDM and EDFA and DCM

Shawn L shawnl at up.net
Wed Apr 22 22:52:54 UTC 2015

Remember, distance ratings are just generalizations.  It all comes down to
power budget.  When fiber is laid there are slack loops for potential
future service and for use if a cable is cut,  splice cases -- because it's
hard to work with a fiber spool with more than 5 miles of cable on it,
other connectors, hand holes with slack coils, etc.  If the route is 80km
the actual fiber distance  could be more like 100 or 120km with all of the
slack.  Then you add on DB loss for every splice and connector.  As others
have said, the only way to really know is to shoot it with a power meter
and see what the end to end loss is, and then get the correct optics for
the path you have