Peering and Network Cost

William Waites wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 10:09:09 UTC 2015

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:23:53 +0200, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> said:

    > So why is IX peering so expensive?

    > But the only service is running an old layer 2 switch.

    > The 40 dix particants should donate 1000 USD once and get a new
    > layer 2 switch. Why does that not happen?

This is something like how TORIX was operated at the beginning. The
switch was donated by Cisco and rack space by a member with a cage at
a convenient spot at 151 Front -- I think this was jlixfeld at
look.ca. Fees were a $1/port/year peppercorn.

It has been a long time since I was in any way involved in that, but
today for a 1Gbps port TORIX charges $1200/year which is more but still
not as much as you say for other IXPs. It would be interesting to hear
from someone who was involved in TORIX at the time how this transition
from $1 to $1200 went and the reasoning behind it. My guess would be
moving to its own space and having to pay rent was a major part of it,
and possibly acquiring staff?

Also note that the LINX exchanges do not charge for the first 1Gbps
port (or the n-th at the regional exchanges) though there is a
membership fee which makes it roughly equivalent to what TORIX does
today.

>From that point of view you guys in Denmark seem to be paying somewhat
over the odds.

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites <wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk>  |  School of Informatics
   http://tardis.ed.ac.uk/~wwaites/       | University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.