Peering and Network Cost

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Apr 18 04:58:47 UTC 2015

On 17/Apr/15 15:05, Max Tulyev wrote:
> One more interesting thing.
>
> If you buy IP transit, mostly you are paying by exact bandwidth, per
> megabit. If you buy IX peering port, you are paying for port. This means
> Tranist ports are overloaded or close to it, while IX ports usually
> always have some extra free capacity.
>
> In practice, this mean if your customer download some file using IX way,
> speed will be much higher that same file reachable by IP transit.

This depends entirely on how you run your network. If you run links hot,
you can't guarantee anything (keeping in mind that your less congested
exchange point ports does not mean other exchange point members are in
the same position also).

We, for example, buy transit or peer with a minimum of 10Gbps port, with
the ability to push traffic at line rate if needed. We do not allow
ports to run hot (typically upgrading them anywhere from between 50% -
70% utilization). I appreciate that not everyone can be in this
position, while others can be even more aggressive with their
"over-engineering", but this kind of information is hard to quantify
reliably.

There is also backhaul from the interconnect point into the backbone to
think about, but that follows a similar strategy.

Mark.