rack cable length

Rafael Possamai rafael at gav.ufsc.br
Fri Apr 17 19:00:17 UTC 2015

Hi Shawn,

If you don't leave slack, you can't really pull the server out of the RU
for maintenance (hot swaps, etc). Your best choice is to purchase cable
management trays if that makes sense (Dell servers usually come with
those).  Otherwise you just need to deal with the loops and whatnot the
best way you can. If your colo hardware is really random (dells, HPs,
supermicros) then it gets worse, but if your hardware is homogeneous then
you can come up with some way of attaching brackets to the side of the rack
that could help you avoid a rats nest in the back of your rack (granted you
can't find cable management trays or they are too expensive to justify the
investment).