Galaxy S6 is IPv6 on all US National Mobile carriers

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Apr 14 01:59:44 UTC 2015

> On Apr 13, 2015, at 9:48 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> that 'clearly' reddit could have cloudflare serve the endpoint from an
> ipv6 address, and thus populate a AAAA in reddit.com's domain.
>
> maybe it's not that simple.

Well, it usually really is but just like automation, ipv6 isn’t something that
many people have broad experiences with, and don’t cut+paste quite as well as
one would hope.  There are also *Way* too many people who memorize IP addresses
out there that have a harder time trying to store 128-bits in their memory vs
32-bits.

They also don’t want to lose track of where that IPv4 packet came from, so don’t
want a reverse proxy doing protocol tcp6 -> tcp4 mucking for them.

eg: ATT wireless/mobility could have their proxy connect() to an ipv6 address vs
ipv4 which my phone transits when on their network and the qname returns AAAA.
This was my favorite thing when running a transparent proxy on my home network,
it could turn all the traffic from hosts that might not naturally think of doing
modprobe ipv6 and turned them into IPv6 requests.

For those wondering, nearly 62% of VZ Wireless traffic is IPv6.

http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

- Jared