Cisco/Level3 takedown

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Apr 9 20:55:04 UTC 2015

--- skhosla at neutraldata.com wrote:
From: Sameer Khosla <skhosla at neutraldata.com>

Was just reading
http://blogs.cisco.com/security/talos/sshpsychos
then checking my routing tables.

Looks like the two /23's they mention are now being
advertised as /24's, and I'm also not sure why cisco
published the ssh attack dictionary.

The authors lost some of their credibility when they
wrote "Since then two class C networks have been..."
At least they used slash notation for the rest of the
article.

If cisco won't stop using this terminology how will
we get others to stop?  Should I point them to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classful_network
where they can see when a Class C (when it was a
valid term) is all addresses that start with 110
in their leading bits and are in this range:
192.0.0.0 - 223.255.255.255. The addresses mentioned
are from the historical Class A range even!

Grrrr, a pet peeve of mine.  Someone here says
Class C and I ask them how a Class C is defined
and then launch into the whole story.  The short
of it is they never use that phrase around me
again.  >;-)

Last "Gone are the days when detectors and protectors
can sit on the Internet’s sidelines when a group is
brazenly attacking a wide range of systems around the
world. [...] Cisco and Level 3 Communications agreed
that it was time to step in and make it stop. "

Declaration of war?  I'm getting my popcorn ready.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm86/JohnLeland1789/Funny/PopcornHugeBags.jpg

scott