Cisco's IOS-XE and PCEP implementation

Rob Shakir rjs at rob.sh
Sun Apr 5 20:29:33 UTC 2015

On 5 April 2015 at 20:43:24, Mohamed Kamal (mkamal at noor.net) wrote:

> and hence being implemented on IOS-XR within the Cisco environment today

I disagree! .. Engineering is all about optimization, and using an ASR1k
(which is being marketed as an "edge/PE router") in my edge doesn't mean
that my network is not a "high-scale environment", it does mean that it
fits my needs in this location, where other IOS-XR (ASR9k) fits in others.

Plus, PCEP is no magic, Juniper's MX series starting from the vMX is
supporting PCEP. They didn't claim that, a "higher-scale environment" is
being required for this.
I did not say that a high-scale environment is required. Just that as far as I have seen a number of deployments (e.g., Internet core/peering-edge) that are stating requirements for TE+PCEP are of the traffic scale that XR boxes are likely to be more widely deployed. IMHO, it’s this that means that XR is seeing the *first* implementations.

Some very large networks (including some that I have responsibility for) make extensive use of IOS XE, and hence there are also requests for PCEP implementations there. I encourage you to request it of Cisco too!

r.