Meeting IRS requirements for encrypted transmission of FTI

Hunt, Fred - DCF Fred.Hunt at wisconsin.gov
Thu Apr 2 15:50:10 UTC 2015

Does anyone have previous experience meeting IRS requirements for the encrypted transmission of FTI across a LAN and WAN, specifically the requirements called for in IRS Publication 1075?
The IRS tests for the following:
All FTI data in transit is encrypted when moving across a Wide Area Network (WAN) and within the agency's Local Area Network (LAN).   If FTI is transmitted over a LAN or WAN it is encrypted with FIPS 140-2 validated encryption, using at least a 128-bit encryption key.

MACsec is what we are looking at right now.  I'm wondering if anyone who has been through such an implementation could share lessons learned, gotchas, etc.

Any input is appreciated?

Fred