From Europe to Australia via right way

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Thu Apr 2 14:03:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 10:43:25AM +0200, Elmar K. Bins wrote:
> piotr.1234 at interia.pl (Piotr) wrote:
>
> > What's the reason, there are some telecoms,isp  that have paths eastbound,
> > southbound but in routing table they prefer longer path via US ?
>
> Come on - you do know that it's called "policy" routing for a reason?
> Costs, reserved bw/s for high-rollers, capacity...

	Sure, you can use static routes as well[1].

	For those that are interested you can take a look
at http://www.submarinecablemap.com/ to get an idea of what path
might be feasible.  I will say that telecom costs tend to be
related to political stability, so when computing shortest
path cost often comes into play.

	Also, What I'm often reminding people is low-latency isn't
always the right solution, because loss is more important.  I am
less concerned about another 25-100ms if there is little jitter
and zero loss.

	- Jared

[1] - https://twitter.com/jaredmauch/status/583227901555961856

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net