BGP offloading (fixing legacy router BGP scalability issues)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 2 06:59:10 UTC 2015

On 1/Apr/15 19:01, Frederik Kriewitz wrote:

> We're wondering if anyone has experience with such a setup?

Cisco have a feature called BGP-SD (BGP Selective Download).

With BGP-SD, you can hold millions of entries in RAM, but decide what
gets downloaded into the FIB. By doing this, you can still export a full
BGP table to customers directly connected to your 6500, and only have a
0/0 + ::/0 (and some more customer routes) in the FIB to do forwarding
to a bigger box.

BGP-SD started shipping in IOS XE, but I now understand that the feature
is on anything running IOS 15.

This would be my recommendation.

Mark.