Experience Brocade ICX7750 and other vendor SFP

i3D.net - Martijn Schmidt martijnschmidt at i3d.net
Wed Apr 1 08:50:30 UTC 2015

Hello,

Brandon Martin<lists.nanog at monmotha.net> , 31/3/2015 10:07 PM:

    I'm not sure where the VDX line ends up in this.  It's apparently
    somewhat the result of actually merging the two technology lines,
    and it
    runs somewhat different software as a result.

The VDX was AFAIK already in development before Brocade bought Foundry,
which is further backed up by the fact that in e.g. FlexOptix's
transceiver re-programming tool you have to select a "Brocade Storage"
firmware for those transceivers rather than the "Brocade IP" firmware
used for Foundry-like gear. It is however true that Brocade has since
ported over a lot of Foundry features to the VDX platform.

As for optics: it will work well (read: interface comes up and passes
traffic) with most other-vendor transceivers even if you don't
re-program, but like the Foundry-lineage kit you lose light level
monitoring when the firmware doesn't match.

Best regards,

Martijn Schmidt
http://www.i3D.net

i3D.net is a private company registered in The Netherlands at Meent 93b, Rotterdam. Registration #: 14074337 - VAT # NL 8202.63.886.B01. i3D.net is CDSA certified on Content Protection and Security and provides hosting from 16 global ISO-certified datacenters. We are ranked in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA as one of the fastest growing technology companies.