GMail contact - misroute / security issue

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:29:45 UTC 2014

Related oddness: if you're British and a GMail user, you either got a
gmail.com username before the lawsuit, or you got a googlemail.com
between the lawsuit and the point when Google and the owner of the
"gmail" trademark settled, or then you got a gmail.com again.

Google chose to alias googlemail.com and gmail.com addresses so as to
minimise the mess, but this doesn't stop people who have
googlemail.com entering gmail.com (or vice versa) when they set up an
account on www.somewebsi.te, because they are conditioned to use
gmail.com/googlemail.com interchangeably, and then being baffled as to
why firstname.lastname at googlemail.com (or vice versa)/password1234
doesn't work, because googlemail==gmail and anyway my address is
really firstname.lastname at gmail.com (or googlemail) - look, I get
email on it, it must be the right one :-)