update

Merike Kaeo merike at doubleshotsecurity.com
Mon Sep 29 18:06:47 UTC 2014

Heh….this reminded me of a project I had to do circa 1991/2 when getting my Master's in EE where we used this book and mechanism to
'validate' TCP.  http://spinroot.com/gerard/popd.html

Although as a student homework assignment I wouldn't say what we did was in any way rigorous but certainly had me learning some interesting
concepts (and as I was actually creating a backbone with routers at the time it was kind of fun to see where academics and operations went a bit
orthogonal) :)  And no, I can't for the life of me remember that far back except to remember that I was the only one in class with practical knowledge.

And then of course there's the 'how did one actually implement the protocols' and hence the Interop conferences as someone already mentioned.
Even a formal proof of 'protocol validation and correctness' doesn't alter the implementation creativities…

- merike