update

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Mon Sep 29 06:41:12 UTC 2014

for two asynchronous, otherwise unconnected systems, using TCP/IP there is
a state transition sequence which can be shown to work if you stick to it.
There are also (I believe) corner cases when you send unexpected sequences,
and some of them have known behaviours

in that sense, the question: "does the RFC adequately document the state
transition sequences which are understood to be valid states and
transitions" is a well formed question.

Robin Milner, in his calculus of communicating systems tried to codify a
formal mathematics of async communicating systems. I don't know if anyone
either extended the idea(s) or applied it to TCP/IP.

Certainly I believe there are formally verified protocols. Thats a space
Erlang occupies isn't it?