update

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Thu Sep 25 04:38:07 UTC 2014

--As of September 25, 2014 4:05:16 AM +0900, Randy Bush is alleged to have
said:

> there is an update out you want.  badly.
> debian/ubuntu admins may want to apt-get update/upgrade or whatever
> freebsd similarly
> can not speak for other systems

--As for the rest, it is mine.

FreeBSD (and other BSDs, as far as I can tell) are not affected unless the
admin has installed bash specifically; it's not part of the default
install.  It may however have been installed as part of the requirements
for something else.

This also should mean that the vulnerability is a bit more limited than in
systems that use bash for /bin/sh: Even if you've installed bash, you
aren't as likely to be running it in CGI or other similar contexts.  (Not
that that means it's blocked entirely if you've installed it, but it should
help.)

As of Wednsday afternoon, FreeBSD ports had the update but packages did not
yet.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.