AWS EC2 us-west-2 reboot

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Sep 25 01:39:39 UTC 2014

Likely some sort of potentially serious bug or flaw in EC2 or Xen. AWS
Security is really on the ball on such things and do everything they can to
make invisible fixes with no customer impact, but sometimes a reboot is
required in order to apply the changes necessary to keep customer instances
safe from attacks and vulnerabilities.

Another possibility: getting rid of older hardware. A reboot will keep you
in the same class of service but may move you to a new physical machine.
Unlikely though at this reported scale.

Same thing happened in December 2011 [1].

Beckman

[1]
http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/232300111/widespread-amazon-ec2-cloud-instance-reboots-spark-questions-concerns.htm