internet governance, rir policy, and the decline of civilization

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Sep 21 01:32:45 UTC 2014

>> I'm not sure for example, if 11GER is needed for number registry personnel
>> costs, that could give you 100 hostmasters with 5500EUR/month salary, in good
>> likelihood, we'd be able to run focused number registry with volunteers.
>
> I think your math is off? 11,000,000 / 100 == 110,000 / 12 == 9,166 month
>
> right? Did you mean '200 hostmasters at 5500/month' ?
>
> you'd likely also have to put into the mix the cost of infrastructure,
> right? I'm not sure what current arin/ripe/apnic folk have deployed, I
> imagine some servers (100k of gear? replaced every 3yrs?) and
> routing/switching devices (2M replaced every 3 yrs), and link costs.

we could nit-pick saku's arithmetic to death, but what would we learn?
it costs money and clue to run a good registry, news at eleven.

in '92 or whenever, when the nic contract went out to bid, rick said
he'd do it for free with some simple scripts.  it's a long way from that
to where we are today, and i doubt either extreme is where we should be.

i suspect that if we threw out all the micro-management policies,
restrictions on transfers, barriers to entry for legacy and newcomers,
etc., we might be able to move significantly closer to rick's idealistic
position.

buy it would require a change of paradigm, and that usually requires a
lot of folk retiring.  so to repeat/paraphrase what i just said in the
apnic forum,

someone too shy to post here (yes, virginia, there are such people:)
suggested i shill for them.  i think their points are worth it.
reasonable public resource governance practice would include at least
the following:
 - term limits for board and committee positions (maybe 2-4 years?)
 - ten year employment caps on executive staff
 - members decide bylaws and budgets

and as i suggested to arin, a gov/ops review consultation consisting of
folk with some stature in these areas, and not having any members from
board or staff.

i would love to see some folk with enable on the board, such as you.
but without the paradigm shift, it would just be pain and torture to no
real avail.  and good folk with enable are too busy enabling the
internet as opposed to making careers as wannabe micro-policy wonks.

randy