Scotland ccTLD?

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Sep 17 17:16:04 UTC 2014

On 9/17/14 9:10 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]
iso3166-1 is not restricted to political jurisdictions, e.g., a
"nation-state". there are about a dozen regional intellectual property
organizations which have been allocated iso3166-1 code points, along
with quite a few bits of postage stamp trivia, my favorites being those
that have no human residents, some have been recently withdrawn.

in the gtld trade, the .eu hack and the .ps hack stand out as creative
use -- the first used the existence of a reserved alpha2 for a currency,
the second a statistical abstraction -- to solve two similar problems --
the non-availability of namespaces to de facto political jurisdictions.
the arab league has attempted, without success to date, to replicate the
.eu hack, and an attempt has been made, also without success, to
re-purpose rather than retire an iso3166-1 code point, previously
allocated to the united states and managed until withdrawn, by the
insular affairs office of the department of the interior, for one or
more indigenous polities of north america.

this just popped up in my fb feed (yes, i read rue89), apropos of the
.su sub-thread. in keeping with the
owen-knows-more-about-everything-than-i-do truism, one is free to ignore
this and hold fast to owen's latest revealed wisdom:

http://rue89.nouvelobs.com/2014/09/15/lurss-existe-toujours-internet-cest-devenu-zone-254809

-e