Scotland ccTLD?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Sep 17 14:26:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sep 17, 2014, at 5:18 AM, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 09:26:24AM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
>
>> SU is the Soviet Union, now classified as ?exceptionally reserved? which IANA treats as available for assignment (other exceptionally reserved codes are EU, UK, and AC)...
>
> Do you not mean *un*available for assignment?

Apologies for the ambiguity. IANA treats the “exceptionally reserved” category as available for assignment as a CCTLD and a number of exceptionally reserved ISO-3166-2 codes have been assigned (including SU, AC, EU, etc).

> They're not going to go
> assigning .eu or .uk to anyone because they're already assigned and in
> use. .ac is too, although it's rather less important.

Right.  Similarly, .SU has been assigned.  SU is a bit odd in the sense that it was moved to “transitionally reserved” when the Soviet Union broke up and a batch of new country codes were created (e.g., RU, UA, etc.) and then, in 2007 (or so) it was moved from “transitionally reserved” (which the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency says “stop use ASAP”) to “exceptionally reserved”.  The .SU ccTLD is also a bit odd in that it is the only code that does not (officially) have a nation-state (and hence a legal framework) behind it. In practice, I believe it falls under the Russian legal framework.

Regards,
-drc