The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at mykolab.com
Fri Sep 5 19:38:13 UTC 2014

The principle questions still stand unanswered:

What is the motivation for this? What do you gain? Does it create some
large architectural and performance in efficiency?

- - ferg

On 9/5/2014 12:27 PM, Murat Yuksel wrote:

> [...]
> cyber-security folks), we will need to revamp our routers (arguably
> which seems to attract Cisco so far) to handle names rather than IP
> addresses, and most importantly re-educate our practitioners to
> configure these "revamped" routers!
>
> The key question is that do we really need to push the names into
> the network layer? I personally don't see this will happen,
> particularly as a replacement to TCP/IP as was laid down in the
> slashdot article. The best bet, IMHO, for NDN is to establish
> software-based NDN routers that maintain content tagged with names.
> One way to imagine I guess is to consider each router as a NAT box
> for this. I just can't see it replacing IP-based forwarding. We all
> wish things were so easy to change, but simply they are not.
>
> Best,
>
> -Murat
>
> On Sep 5, 2014, at 11:51 AM, Field, Brian
> <Brian_Field at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
>

>> Here¹s my $0.02.   I¹m only going to touch on a small part of
>> what I understand NDN to be‹ namely making caching a first class
>> citizen of the network.  When you think about the types of
>> traffic currently carried over our collective networks, there
>> might be value if the network eco system more natively supported
>> caching.
>>
>> Van¹s first paper proposing this NDN concept (afaik) was in
>> 2009.
>>
>> If we were to get into the ³way-back² machine to say 2003, when
>> peer-2-peer was a big app, one might have then decided that we
>> really need to make ³peer-2-peer² a first class citizen of the
>> network.  In fact the IETF tried [at some level] to do this with
>> the DECADE WG.  The app space evolved, p2p is no longer as
>> prevalent, and DECADE saw/got little traction.
>>
>> In 1998, we might have been thinking about making NNTP a first
>> class citizen of the network.
>>
>> Maybe we need to think about making *software* [instead of a
>> specific service] a first class citizen of the network.   What do
>> I mean by this?
>>
>> If software were a first class citizen of our networks in 2003,
>> we might have hopped onto our routers and done a ³yum install
>> decade²‹ which would install software that would make the network
>> eco system more efficient at supporting p2p traffic.
>>
>> Today, on our network eco system we might do a ³yum uninstall
>> decade² and then do a ³yum install caching²‹ which might embed
>> caching functionality into our routing eco system‹ hopefully
>> making the delivery of cacheable content more efficient.
>>
>> In N years, when there is yet another new app pushing the network
>> eco system, we might then be doing a ³yum uninstall caching² and
>> instead doing a ³yum install new-app² which would make the
>> network eco system more efficient at supporting this new-app.
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On 9/5/14, 8:16 AM, "Jay Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How many Youtube subject tags will fit in *your* routers'

sortium-to-replace-tcpip

>>> [ Can someone convince me this isn't the biggest troll in the
>>> history of the internet? Cause it sounds like shoehorning DNS
>>> /and Google/ into IP in place of, y'know, IP addresses. ]
>>>
>>> Cheers, -- jra -- Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink
>>> jra at baylink.com Designer                     The Things I Think
>>> RFC 2100 Ashworth & Associates       http://www.bcp38.info
>>> 2000 Land Rover DII St Petersburg FL USA      BCP38: Ask For It
>>> By Name!           +1 727 647 1274
>
> ======================================== Murat Yuksel Associate
> Professor Graduate Director Department of Computer Science and
> Engineering University of Nevada - Reno 1664 N. Virginia Street, MS
> 171, Reno, NV 89557. Phone: +1 (775) 327 2246, Fax: +1 (775) 784
> 1877 E-mail: yuksem at cse.unr.edu Web: http://www.cse.unr.edu/~yuksem

- --
Paul Ferguson
VP Threat Intelligence, IID
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2