The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Sep 5 15:25:51 UTC 2014

On (2014-09-05 14:58 +0000), Gary Dunaway wrote:

> Given how long the process has been to go from IPv4 to IPv6, I would imagine something like this taking much longer to take root and spread out to the masses. It is a curious concept though and the papers written on the consortium site may be work a quick read.

I don't think IPv4 to IPv6 is taking long because it's technically difficult,
it is taking long time because it's hard to justify it commercially, no one is
paying you premium to get it, because it does not provide anything your
customers want.

We could probably deploy completely new protocol stack in 5 years, if there
was business incentive, if customers would switch to you from current
provider, if you are providing this.

Having said that I skimmed through NDN and it seems like
yet-another-flow-forwarding-concept. I quickly lose interest when I run into
proposal where state does not end after reading header. Having all these
states sitting in FIB does not seem anywhere near plausible even with moore's
law hand waving.

I'm sure better than IP is possible, but I can't tell what it is. I think IP
addresses are more relevant today than they should be. We already do rely on
doing 2 lookups, IP (infrastructure) and DNS (dictionary/service), and IP
addresses probably can be made completely uninteresting low-level detail by
looking how to revamp host's dictionary lookup, adding complexity there has
very little impact on scaling.

--
  ++ytti