The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

me jschiel at flowtools.net
Fri Sep 5 14:47:23 UTC 2014

On 09/05/2014 08:40 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> On 9/5/2014 7:35 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>
>> "Interface" sure.
>>
>> But the dangers of replacing actual /addresses/ with things which
>> are not is sufficiently well understood that even Van Jacobson
>> ought to know about 'em, right? :-)
>>
> Compare & contrast: There is still large-scale resistance (for lack of
> a better term) to IPv6 deployment, so what chance does deployment of
> Named Data-Networking stand? :-)
>
> - - ferg

This idea needs more simmer time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_data_networking

" Juno also introduces the concept of a delivery-centric interface,
which extends the traditional content-centric interface to allow
applications to stipulate multiple diverse delivery requirements that
place certain constraints on how the content should be provided. For
instance, these constraints can deal with such things as performance,
resilience, security, monetary cost and anonymity."

Almost sounds like the perfect protocol to allow the combination
Internet/content provider to keep all content coming from where they
want the content to come from instead of the freedom to choose where the
content comes from.

--John Schiel