The Next Big Thing: Named-Data Networking

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at mykolab.com
Fri Sep 5 14:40:08 UTC 2014

On 9/5/2014 7:35 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> "Interface" sure.
>
> But the dangers of replacing actual /addresses/ with things which
> are not is sufficiently well understood that even Van Jacobson
> ought to know about 'em, right? :-)

Compare & contrast: There is still large-scale resistance (for lack of
a better term) to IPv6 deployment, so what chance does deployment of
Named Data-Networking stand? :-)

- - ferg

> On September 5, 2014 10:27:18 AM EDT, Paul Ferguson
> <fergdawgster at mykolab.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/5/2014 7:16 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>
> How many Youtube subject tags will fit in *your* routers' TCAM?
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/09/04/2156232/ucla-cisco-more-launch-consortium-to-replace-tcpip
>
>  [ Can someone convince me this isn't the biggest troll in the
> history of the internet? Cause it sounds like shoehorning DNS /and
> Google/ into IP in place of, y'know, IP addresses. ]
>

> I didn't read it that way exactly, especially in light of this not
> in the Wikipedia article:
>
> "Application-layer designs have also been proposed for deploying a
> content-centric interface. This has benefits such as easier
> deployment, backwards compatibility and more flexible delivery
> support."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_data_networking
>
> It's an interesting concept, but it ain't gonna replace TCP/IP,
> DNS, or IP addresses anytime soon. :-)
>
> - ferg
>

> -- Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
> brevity.

- --
Paul Ferguson
VP Threat Intelligence, IID
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2