Prefix hijacking, how to prevent and fix currently

Nick Feamster feamster at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:47:42 UTC 2014

Hi Doug, All,

We’ve seen similar things, including hijacks of less specific IP prefixes (even /8s), correlated with spam behavior.

We presented on this at NANOG 35:
http://nanog.org/meetings/nanog36/presentations/feamster.pdf

Slide 4 shows a short-lived BGP announcement for IP space that was the source of spam.  Interestingly, many of the short-lived annoucements that we observed were /8s.  Subsequent slides explain why.  Subsequent slides explain these observations in more detail, and we had a paper in SIGCOMM’06 describing this activity in more detail:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~feamster/papers/p396-ramachandran.pdf

We have a couple of pieces of follow-up work:
- It turns out that you can use BGP dynamics as features to design filters for spam and other attack traffic (we have a couple of papers on this)
- Some of these observable dynamics are also useful for establishing AS reputation (a la Hostexploit) - we have some ongoing work here

Happy to talk more, either on-list or off-list.

Cheers,
-Nick