More Godaddy DNS and whois server issues?

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Thu Sep 4 17:35:43 UTC 2014

On 9/4/2014 12:55 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2014, at 9:22 AM, Mark Keymer <mark at viviotech.net> wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > So this started a little while ago but seems to be getting worse.
>> >
>> > What I am seeing is dns servers over at godaddy not replying however I seem to be able to traceroute ok to them. Also I have started to see that the whois.godaddy.com servers also seem to be having issues as well with "Whois information is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."
>> >
>> > Anyone else also seeing issues this morning? And able to confirm the issue is with godaddy?
> I've seen reports of this for a week or so, with the symptoms looking like overly aggressive abuse / query rate handling - packets from networks containing busy resolvers being blocked.
>
> Grapevine tells me that they don't think they're doing it intentionally (maybe they outsourced something and it broke?).

a few hours ago... One of my MX gateway filtering clients (for the small
spam filtering portion of my business) was having trouble this morning
with their own users accessing webmail (hosted on their exchange
server), and I discovered that the "a" record was resolving from some
locations, but not from others.  The domain was using GoDaddy's
"domaincontrol.com" series of name servers. I thought that they might
have had wrong host names in their registrar records and I told my
client to contact Godaddy, verify that these were correct, and ask
Godaddy about possible timeout and/or "no answer" issues. I tried
querying the host name from one location (direct to Godaddy's DNS) and
I'd get an answer, then from another location (direct to Godaddy's DNS)
and I would get a seemingly endless timeout.

--
Rob McEwen
+1 (478) 475-9032