Prefix hijacking, how to prevent and fix currently

Andree Toonk andree+nanog at toonk.nl
Wed Sep 3 21:06:52 UTC 2014

.-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at 2014-09-03 10:27 AM  Doug
Madory wrote:
> http://www.bgpmon.net/using-bgp-data-to-find-spammers/
>
> This blog post furthers this discussion, but it would have been appropriate to cite my original analysis explicitly, rather than simply citing "some discussion on Nanog recently."

I appreciate your point but you're assuming that you are the original /
sole source. More than one org has been working on this and the recent
increase in IP squatting has been discussed on a few private and public
lists. All content in this post originates from our own data and
analysis. As you've seen we described a second (not previously
discussed) case in great detail as well.

> If we want to foster a community where people share expertise on this
list, fully citing others' work is essential, as in any professional or
academic setting.

Credit where credit is due, in the blog we publicly thanked one
Individual (Job) for his help. To be honest I think this is a great
example of how we worked with the community. We've worked with the ISP's
involved, shared all our data and worked closely with some of them to
verify traffic patterns and figure out why these prefixes were being
accepted.

Cheers,
 Andree (BGPmon)