Is it unusual to remove defunct rr objects?

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Fri Oct 31 17:34:23 UTC 2014

In the recent past, we've had another provider in our same market
erroneously advertising prefixes for some of our customers.

	After we got it cleared up, I noticed that there were some old
route objects in RADB that were entered for that provider years ago by
360.  These route objects, in a sense, legitimized, the erroneous
advertisements by matching the prefixes to that providers ASN.  As that
provider no longer uses 360/Zayo, I asked Zayo if they could remove the
objects.  Once the request made it to someone who understood what I was
asking, they spent some time and effort over the next few weeks (much
appreciated by me, I might add) in hunting down the info they needed to
(I assume) manage the old 360 maintnr object.  They then removed the
offending objects (again, my thanks).

	One of the Zayo support folks mentioned to me, somewhat
apologetically, that it took some time as nobody had ever made such a
request before.  So this got me wondering: is it really such a rare
thing to manage ones route objects such that old defunct data is
removed?  I'm not under the impression that the issue I had would have
been alleviated any by the related route objects having been removed
beforehand, but their existence wasn't helping me any either.

	I've since found a disturbing number of defunct objects that
relate to my customers (and me) in a similar way, and I have mostly
had success in getting them cleared up.  If my relatively small
customer base is any indication, there are more incorrect objects out
there than correct ones.  I feel this is something I should have been
looking into sooner.

	Is this a non-issue that I shouldn't worry about?  Doesn't the
quality of this data effect Origin Validation efforts?

	Sorry that this turned out so long; I wanted to give some
context.

--TimH