Industry standard bandwidth guarantee?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Oct 30 19:53:52 UTC 2014

> You can't just ignore protocol overhead (or any system's overhead). If an
> application requires X bits per second of actual payload, then your system
> should be designed properly and take into account overhead, as well as
> failure rates, peak utilization hours, etc. This is valid for networking,
> automobile production, etc etc..

Are you saying that the service provider should take into account overhead?
And report the amount of bandwidth available for payload?  Even there we
have some wiggle room, but at least it is something the customer will be
able to work out (IP header overhead, etc).

If not, I'm at a bit of a loss.  As a customer, how do I identify that my
traffic is actually going over an ATM-over-MPLS-over-VPN-over-whatever-
other-bitrobbing-tech circuit and that I should only expect to see 60% of
the speed advertised?

... JG