NIST NTP Server List

Brian Butler techbb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:31:49 UTC 2014

On 10/29/2014 12:14 PM, Brian Christopher Raaen wrote:
> The list of NIST NTP servers is down for me, is anyone else seeing this?
> I'm getting a 404 error
> http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

I concur, that URL results in 404 for me too.  Much content which had
been reliably available at http://tf.nist.gov and
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/ seems to have vanished or broken lately.
Not aware of alternate source.  I prefer the NTP.org pools and other
sources anyway, for reliability.

I didn't memorize the federal time servers, but wasn't simply time.gov
one of them?

~$ ntptrace time.gov
2610:20:6005:13::35: timed out, nothing received
***Request timed out

http://www.time.gov/about.html leads to
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/ which redirects to the broken
http://tf.nist.gov ... so this has got to be an error.

Maybe they're doing some rearranging and moving, starting with the
removing old part.

At least tf.nist.gov is *up*, giving 403s and 404s.  Keying in on .gov
and ipv6 and related debacles, I wonder if results vary depending on
whether one uses v4 or v6...idle speculation.

Perhaps contact via http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/contact.cfm
(which, amusingly, came with a Foresee survey when I loaded it moments
ago...) or timeinfo at boulder.nist.gov <mailto:timeinfo at boulder.nist.gov>
may yield something.