A translation (was Re: An update from the ICANN ISPCP meeting...)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Oct 27 22:34:24 UTC 2014

Barry,

On Oct 27, 2014, at 10:28 AM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> Oh no! The Four Horsement of the Infocalypse!

Being dismissive of concerns related to illegal activities that make use of the DNS does not, of course, make those concerns go away. A number of folks make use of the registration database in attempting to address illegal activities, as such it seems to me that it would be useful if that database was accurate.

> It's the old problem,

Not really.

> crooks don't hand out business cards.

Registration data is used to identify registrants, not crooks. As Mark Andrews pointed out, there are uses for identifying non-crook registrants. In rare cases, registrants are crooks and while I'd agree the sophisticated crooks will find ways around any requirements for accuracy, I believe there is value to having accuracy in the general case.

Or are you arguing we should simply remove Whois as a service available to the Internet?

> And, again, at what cost, and to whom?

The cost obviously depends on the requirements and implementation.

The whom is and will always be the registrant.  However, for the vast majority of registrants with a handful of domains, the costs are likely to be in the pennies. Granted, for the domainers with huge portfolios, the costs may be significant, however that is a cost of doing that particular business.

>> That is one part of the outcome of ICANN's ongoing effort to try to fix the multiple decade long nightmare that is Whois, yes.
> It needs a public examination. This is a big change.

Agreed! And, in particular, it would be nice if network operators, who I believe make non-trivial use of Whois examine that change and determine whether the changes meet their requirements and if not, dare I say, participate in ICANN to make sure it does.

Regards,
-drc