Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch [OT]

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Oct 27 18:25:14 UTC 2014

On 10/25/2014 04:55 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> Completely agree on this point--but I fail to see why it has to be one
> or the other? Why can't systemd have a --text flag to tell it to
> output in ascii text mode for those of us who prefer it that way?
It still logs to syslog, and syslog can still log to text.  Systemd
certainly writes a nice text /var/log/messages on my CentOS 7 system.

There is also a --log-target command line option, where there are
several possible targets.

Further, the binary log is generated by journald, not by systemd itself,
which can log directly to syslog without using the binary journal (see:
http://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/change-systemds-binary-logging-to-text-logging-in-sabayon-linux/
for how to do this in one particular Linux distribution, Sabayon).

The more I dig into systemd, the less I dislike it.  I'm still not
thrilled, but it's not as bad as I first heard it was going to be.