ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 27 12:06:02 UTC 2014

On Oct 27, 2014, at 12:58 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> LACNIC numbers (as a percent) are quite good, but my question
>> was why only RIPE has the very impressive total count of ROAs.
>
> < conjecture follows >
>
> of course one can never know.  but i conject
>  o the are the largest registry actively promotin registration
>  o the ncc, particularly alex, tim, oleg, ... have put significant
>    effort into making it very easy to register
>  o they have a culture of cooperation and doing things well

Reasonable conjecture; implies that in this region we need to overcome
our interesting legal situation, make things easy to use, and then do
some significant promotion.

>> You can clearly point to ARIN's legal treatment of the risks involved,
>> but that is not applicable in the APNIC case....
>
> it is hard to register in apnic, ask folk who have tried.  the most
> active folk are under NIRs, who are only now working on deployment.
> apnic is not really promoting it.

Ah, good to know (and reinforces potential ARIN issues beyond legal
wrangling)

>> You don't feel there's any correlation between RIPE's IRR approach and
>> their RPKI success?
>
> that's the cooperative culture bit, actually interested in the net
> running well.

Presumably the NANOG community is also interested in keeping the net
running well, so if ARIN can provide some reasonably usable services,
that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran