A translation (was Re: An update from the ICANN ISPCP meeting...)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Oct 27 04:25:18 UTC 2014

I think one missing or weak component are those who actually make this
stuff work vs the pie-in-the-sky infringer/volume/policy crowd.

I've sat in IPC meetings and suffice it to say there isn't much clue
on that front and why should there be unless the go-fast/go-always
crowd shows up?

Sure it does tend to creep in as proposed policies escape and get the
attention of the doers but the danger is by that time the
infringer/volume crowd might be quite committed to their vision: Make
PI=3.0 and full steam ahead.

What's also often lacking is simply administrative and management
insight but that's not particularly germaine to this group.

But I did get into a minor shouting match with an IP lawyer last week
in LA who just didn't understand why service providers won't drop
everything we're doing to rush through their discovery needs, for
free, without indemnification (or similar), or jurisdicational
authority, on an as-needed basis.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada