A translation (was Re: An update from the ICANN ISPCP meeting...)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Oct 25 13:23:03 UTC 2014

In message <5526169E-D263-4132-A809-0B0A6FCE842F at virtualized.org>, David Conrad writes:
> Barry,
>
> On Oct 24, 2014, at 12:13 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> > I believe this never-ending quest for more reliable domain
> > registration data is being driven by intellectual property lawyers to
> > lower the cost of serving those they see as infringers either by
> > domain or web site content.
>
> I would agree that the intellectual property folks have interests in this
> area, however having sat through sessions on various illegal activities
> facilitated by domain names (e.g., trade in endangered species, child
> porn, illegal pharmacies,  etc) as well as having been to anti-abuse
> meetings (e.g., MAAWG, APWG, RIPE abuse-wt, etc), I am fairly confident
> there are far more people interested in accurate registration data than
> merely intellectual property lawyers.
>
> Heck, I heard even some network operators would like to have accurate
> registration databases and I don't think many of those folks are
> intellectual property lawyers.
>
> > FWIW, my suggestion was to put the WHOIS data into the DNS (a new RR
> > perhaps) under the control of whoever manages that DNS record and if
> > someone needs more correct information then perhaps the registrars
> > could provide it (perhaps for a fee) from the sales slips (so to
> > speak.)
>
> You're too late: I believe there is a t-shirt that has the slogan "F*
> that, let's just put it in the DNS"... :)
>
> > It's just a sales record, not sure why some are trying to move heaven
> > and earth to idealize the information and access to it.
>
> I disagree. Perhaps my age is showing, but I believe the whole point of
> the registration database is to provide contact information to allow
> someone to contact the registrant for whatever reason, e.g., "hey, stop
> that!".

Personally I would like to be able to contact the zone owners so I
can report problems with their servers.  The amount of broken servers
and firewalls is enourmous and it is causing operational problems.
It is also fixable if you can contact the zone's administrators.

http://users.isc.org/~marka/ts.html

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org