ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

Sandra Murphy sandy at tislabs.com
Sat Oct 25 12:57:36 UTC 2014

Other RIR based RIRs have the same ability to protect prefixes in their realm of control.  (See RFC 2725 RPSS)(*)  (I think that APNIC is doing pretty much as RIPE is.)

Even RIPE is not secure for prefixes outside their region.  (There's one maintainer that anyone can use to register anything for resources outside the region - password publicly available, etc.)

Non-RIR based IRRs do not have the ability to tie the register-er to authority for the resource, so they have no base on which to build the RIPE sort of security.

--Sandy

(*) (yes, I'm listed as an author, but Curtis Villamizer was far and away the principal author.)