ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 21:24:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM, John Sweeting <john.sweeting at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Danny McPherson <danny at tcb.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2014-10-23 12:33, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like you want to see the rirs make sure they get rpki work
>>> dine and widely available with the least encumbrances on the network
>>> operator community as possible.
>>

>> Or focus on more short/intermediate term returns like fortifying all the
>> existing systems and automating processes that are already deployed and
>> focus on ROI of members and operational buffers required by the community
>> _today.  E.g., IRR training and investment rather than RPKI, which this
>> thread began with.
>

> makes perfect sense to focus on validating existing systems such as IRR.
> Seems like very low hanging fruit with a lot of benefit and a good ROI

it seems to me that there are a couple simple issues with IRR data
(historically):
  1) no authority for it (really, at least in the ARIN region)
  2) no common practice of keeping it updated
  3) proxy-registration issues (probably part of cleanup and authority issues)
  4) lack of widespread use due to the above issues.

I was/am hopeful that providing some path from IANA (eventually) on
down through RIR to LIR to end-user for 'authority to use' ip
resources would help in letting people use the IRR data cleansed of
insanity by the data from this path, and then into routers for route
filters.

The RPKI system looks like the path in question, to me.