Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Oct 24 20:41:17 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 22-10-2014 17:30, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > Hardly. The discussion so far has been weighted very heavily on the
> > side of Dana Carvey's "Grumpy Old Man"-style whining. "That's the way
> > it was and we liked it!". The people that like systemd (like myself)
> > have wisely learned that the people that hate systemd, hate it mostly
> > because it's different from what came before and don't want to change.
> > There's no way to argue rationally with that.

That's not true, Jeff.  Nearly all the anti-systemd arguments I have seen
have itemized the design features of the package which we don't like, and
provided what seem to us to be good and cogent reasons why we don't like
those, in many cases backed up with examples of how earlier similar designs
failed that way.

"Grumpy Old Man" is a strawman argument, and there's no way to argue with
that at all: you merely identify it as fallacious and ignore it.

And if the same proponent keeps doing it, you demonstrate the sound an
idiot makes falling to the bottom of your killfile.  Please don't.

Cheers,
-- jra