NOC Calendar

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Oct 24 17:31:15 UTC 2014

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 10:38 AM, chris <tknchris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was looking into something like this a while back and one thing that
> didnt seem to exist but I thought would be cool is if you could have a x86
> box or appliance that could take video output of lets say a couple virtual
> machines and encode it into a standard TV signal so your average TV with a
> builtin tuner and have each VM's display encoded into a different TV
> channel. This way you could throw up TV's everywhere and easily change
> whats displayed at any time without having to have devices plugged into
> every TV.
>
> If this already exists or someone has built anything like this I would love
> to hear about it.

We have large screens in our NOC but these are mostly not used as the NOC operators have the same displays on their multiple monitors at desk.  This all depends on what ones use case is and the size/scale which is feasible in your space.

Having a proper procedure (I think we use WebcalNG or something similar) which emails out reminders of each bit of scheduled work, emergency or not to remind the people of what is occurring is seen as easier.  There is also a “status page” where well known ongoing issues (e.g.: cable cuts) can be posted.  This is on the big screens, so people coming on-shift can see them as they sit down.

Hope this helps,

- Jared