Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch [OT]

Tei oscar.vives at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 07:35:10 UTC 2014

I pled the Linux people to stay inside the unix philosophy to use text files.

Low newbies like me learn from reading config files, and fix thing by
reading log files, tryiing to make some sense of the error messages
there, and using the most suspicious line as the handle to google for
a solution (that is often some stackoverflow article, or some forum
posts).

I dismay after the idea of somebody replacing all that text by a
binary that spouts "the service stoped running" or that corrupt,
because some buffer was not flush when the kerfukle happened.

Even if going to binary gives a extra 20% speed,  I think speed is
important but not that important. I plead save the discoverability,
learn-bility, debug-ness of text  (even text scripts) over mysterious
binary blobs elfs generating mysterious binary blobs journals.

If they nerf text files, is like they nerf Google for me, and my
ability to maintain and configure systems.

ℱin del ℳensaje.