An update from the ICANN ISPCP meeting...

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Thu Oct 23 22:15:31 UTC 2014

some history.

at the montevideo icann meeting (september, 2001), there were so few
attendees to either the ispc (now ispcp) and the bc (still bc), that
these two meetings merged. at the paris icann meeting (june, 2008) staff
presented an analysis of the voting patters of the gnso constituencies
-- to my non-surprise, both the bc and the ispc votes (now ispcp)
correlated very highly with the intellectual property constituency, and
unlike that constituency, originated very little in the way of policy
issues for which an eventual vote was recorded. in other words, the bc
and ispc were, and for the most part, imho, remain captive properties of
the intellectual property constituency.

this could change, but the isps that fund suits need to change the suits
they send, the trademark lawyer of eyeball network operator X is not the
vp of ops of network operator X.

meanwhile, whois, the udrp, and other bits o'
other-people's-business-model take up all the available time.

eric