Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu Oct 23 21:01:38 UTC 2014

Randy wrote:
> I've enjoyed kernel hot patches (ksplice) until now.
>
> So my primary concern is that updates to systemd appears to require a full
> reboot:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=300166
>
> Is systemd really like a 2nd 'kernel' -- demanding mass reboots every time
> security issue is discovered?
>
> I hope not!
>
> --
> ~Randy

Given that their focus is on reducing boot-time, why wouldn't they want to
highlight that point by making you do it often??

It is clear that the systemd developers are on a solid track to catch up
with Windows-9x/ME. At the timeframe of Win9x/ME development, Gates was
hammering "boot-time : boot-time : boot-time" on a regular basis. My
feedback to him and his direct reports was that getting rid of reasons to
reboot was much more important than making an all too common activity "less
unpleasant". Clearly a monolithic super ker-daemon will be at least as easy
to use and maintain as a Win9x machine ...  ;)

Tony