ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Thu Oct 23 20:18:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-23 12:33, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> Sounds like you want to see the rirs make sure they get rpki work
> dine and widely available with the least encumbrances on the network
> operator community as possible.

Or focus on more short/intermediate term returns like fortifying all
the existing systems and automating processes that are already deployed
and focus on ROI of members and operational buffers required by the
community _today.  E.g., IRR training and investment rather than RPKI,
which this thread began with.

I'd continue and say in-addr.arpa or the like for resource
certification because RPKI is so ugly, silly without a single root
aligned with number resource allocations, etc.., but that'd require
response cycles I'm not going to spend there.

> Did you see wes's slides / talk at the last nanog?

I did (after).

Aside, I understand why the ARIN board did what they did with the RPA
and I don't blame them -- it seemed well considered to me, but that's
just me.

Reminded of Taleb's "Fat Tony" quote [paraphrased]: If the pilot ain't
on the plane, you probably don't want to get on it,

-danny