Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch [OT]

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Thu Oct 23 19:54:47 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 10:43 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Wouldn't it be more 'do one thing well' if you had a 'super' inetd
> setup that can start services in a better way than with individually
> packaged (by different packagers in most cases) shell scripts that are
> going to run as root?

inetd versus xinetd -- I thought that was an excellent change.  It was
closely targeted, well documented, and did indeed do one thing well:
accept connections and pass them off to a handler.

I'm not so sure about systemd yet.  I've not tried to create a daemon of
my own to run under the setup.  I have tried to use upstart, and found
the execution of upstart (CentOS 6) didn't match the documentation.
Further, there was no "here's how you go from sysvinit to upstart" that
made sense.

I did see that systemd *does* have a paper for people needing to move
from the old sysvinit to systemd, which is a plus on the surface.  I'll
be trying that in the future.