Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch [OT]

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Oct 23 18:22:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:43:03 -0400, Lamar Owen said:

> Now, I've read the arguments, and I am squarely in the 'do one thing and
> do it well' camp.  But, let's turn that on its head, shall we? Why oh
> why do we want every single package to implement its own initscript and
> possibly do it poorly?

Umm.. because maybe, just maybe, the package maintainers know more about
the ugly details of what it takes to start a given package than the init
system authors know?

If they botch the boilerplate section of an initscript, maybe they shouldn't
be releasing packages.  On the other hand, the *non*-boilerplate section of
the initscript is something that *only* the package maintainers are qualified
to write.