Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Oct 23 05:39:40 UTC 2014

On 10/22/14 9:29 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 23:02, Jim Mercer wrote:
>
>> if reducing boot time from 20 minutes down to 1 minute, in a server
>> environment,
>> is a serious issue for you, maybe you should be looking at why you
>> need to
>> reboot so often?
>

> That is the question I have been asking myself.
>
> Back in the day we took it a a failure if a reboot happened.  (I
> remember discussions about needing to reboot to keep counters from
> overflowing.  I thought programming for counter wrap was a better idea.)

Back over here in router-land when the cat65k vss pair went down it's at
least 20 minutes before it's back. If you enjoy what may be the longest
minutes of your life try tripping over a bug that takes out two pairs
and a whole pop. Having something come back quickly is part of having
flexibility since things do go pear-shaped, and responding to outages
rather than not having them is not tick box we get to decline.

Today my Arista reloada in about 220 seconds which is tolerable but if
it were half that I'd be even happier.