Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Thu Oct 23 04:02:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 09:48:51PM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> Optimizing reboot time down from 20 minutes  to  1 minute is a
> significantly meaningful improvement;  it's literally a 85%  reduction
> in time spent during each boot process  from the original time.

if reducing boot time from 20 minutes down to 1 minute, in a server environment,
is a serious issue for you, maybe you should be looking at why you need to
reboot so often?

i'm somewhat puzzled by the fanboi mantra of "i've been running whizzy weasel
and have 1574 days of uptime", which has now been supplanted by "geez, i
have to wait 3 minutes every time i reboot this thing".

running ntp, dhcp, dns, smtp, imap, http, that's what we do in serverland.

and in addition to that, we need to run whatever the latest and greatest
piece of crap that's being touted on slashdot (redis, mongo, couchbase,
elasticsearch, anything that uses ruby/forever).

we generally don't have alot of say in what we have to run because the fanboi's
run the media, and management tends to give media more credence than the
decades of experience they have in-house.  that's how linux made it into the
server environment in the first place.

systemd sounds like a really useful thing if you are running a desktop system.

as far as booting up a server, to run services, and to keep those services
running, the init.d/rc.d/etc systems do a good job, and its generally not
that hard to add/modify if you are half-assed competent.

before criticizing people for being afraid of new technology, make sure that
you yourself are not afraid of existing technology.

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim at reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"