Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 23 03:34:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
>> And you whisk all that away with "it's not really clear to me that
>> 'reboots in seconds' is a think to be optimized"????
>
> False dilemma.
> [ snip ]
> 10 seconds from power on to user interface for desktops, will
> meaningfully improve the user experience,  but not for servers.

It's a false dilemma only if you're thinking about traditional
physical servers.  Consider:

1) What if you're spinning up several thousand Hadoop nodes on AWS or
GCE so that you can do some sort of "big data" operation.

2) What if PewDiePie just mentioned one of your products in a video
and you need to quickly scale up the number of backend servers to
handle the load.

I'm sure that there are many other scenarios that I could devise where
a fast "server" boot time was important.

--
Jeff Ollie