Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 23 01:45:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> Re. NTP: Timekeeping is rather essential in lots of applications - like, for
> example, transit operations, where I currently spend my work life.  An
> accurate, accessible central clock tends to be a rather important system
> component.  And we're talking concerns in the range of seconds.  When you
> start getting into serious real-time systems (laboratory instrumentation,
> utility operations, warfighting, ....) - yeah, NTP servers start getting
> really interesting, to a lot of people.

As I've already said a couple of times, systemd does not force a
particular NTP implementation on you.  It comes with one (timedated),
and has a utility to manage it (timedatectl) but the admin can install
and use a different one if they like.

The only thing that has changed recently with respect to that is that
timedatectl can no longer be used to manage chronyd or ntpd.

--
Jeff Ollie