Self destruction in open source systems (was Re: Linux: concerns over systemd [OT])

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Wed Oct 22 23:58:47 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 06:01, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> been running bsd forever.  but moving to debian and ganeti, as bsd
>>> does not host virtualization.
>> Simply not true; http://bhyve.org/
>> It is a bit immature compared to Xen+Ganeti or something like that.
>
> apologies.  i thought we were talking about production systems.  my
> mistake.

This may take us far enough away from BGP and prefix lengths to draw
moderator fire, but it is a topic I would like to pursue somewhere.

What is it about seems to mandate that they develop a fatal rot from the
inside out?

I don't have anything to add to the xxxxxX OSes (they Were Not Allowed
when I was an active admin), but I have of late been grappling with what
to do about replacing Firefox and Thunderbird in the four machines I
have left in my world.

Early on I developed a fondness for Mosaic as a simple get-the-job done
tool to add to elm and news to get the work done.

Netscape did a nice integration and I went with that until it went away.

Now I have Thunderbird and Firefox--from people who are committed to the
notion that if it works, it must be replaced.  If people like it, it
must be redesigned.  If it is stable, it must be updated.  If there is a
useless, senseless "feature" somewhere in the world, these products must
be revised to make that feature the focus.
--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes