Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Oct 22 13:59:07 UTC 2014

nanog at jack.fr.eu.org wrote:
> Before leaving Debian, things to think:
> - will systemd be officialy the only system available ?
> - if so, won't we get a way to bypass that ?

officially, there will be support for multiple init systems; in
practice, the installer doesn't provide an option, and trying to remove
systemd seems to drag one into dependency hell

> I'm not gonna throw Debian away due to such a mess, without fighting
> hard, and I think you should do the same: talk, patch if needed, show
> you're here

unfortunately, the fight is rather ugly, and seemingly fruitless (have
you been on debian-user, debian-devel, or debian-vote lately?) - sigh...
this discussion, if a bit OT for nanog, is a breath of fresh air -
PLEASE weigh in on the side of goodness and light

Miles Fidelman